The functions of the liver are many. You could say the liver is a multi-tasker: it produces, purifies, and converts many substances essential to life. It plays a role in the digestion, hematology (blood), immune and inflammatory response, and endocrine systems.
1) The liver’s digestive function is simple: it manufactures bile, which is stored in the gallbladder. The gallbladder then secretes the bile as needed into the small and large intestines to emulsify and absorb the fats we eat.
2) The liver also transforms excess simple sugars and converts them into glycogen or fats for storage. When you need that extra boost of energy, the liver can take that stored fat and glycogen and converts it into the energy you need. It can also transform proteins into energy as a last resort.
3) The liver stores fat-soluble vitamins and minerals and distributes them where and when they are needed.
4) The liver is also an organ of detoxification: it takes toxins and poisons from medications, alcohol, and metabolic waste and transforms them into less harmful substances. It also stores toxins that can’t be broken down and eliminated, including some chemicals and other poisons.
5) The liver synthesizes the proteins that regulate blood clotting and molecule transporters in the blood.
6) The liver makes the cholesterol that is used in hormone production.
7) The liver produces proteins that affect the inflammatory response and manufactures some antigens for immunity.
8) The liver has cells that specifically destroy bacteria and breakdown old worn-out red blood cells.
With so much activity to accomplish, you can imagine the liver is prone to diseases such as viral infections, inflammatory diseases, toxicity, vascular disorders, metabolic diseases, and cancers.
In order to keep your liver healthy, choose pesticide-free foods and wash your vegetables, consume plenty of antioxidants , avoid taking medications you don’t really need, and limit alcohol consumption. Ways to nourish your liver include enjoying lemon juice regularly and engaging in some form of exercise.