It’s apparent that we live in a time when people are experiencing tremendous stress, and stress has collective effects. One of our goals is to share information to help deal with stress, a giant topic to drop into.
Antioxidants are a substance that protects against free radical molecules — which are harmful to our health — by inhibiting the process by which they arise. Free radicals can come from environmental exposures, poor dietary habits, and sustained stress. Free radicals can be neutralized by antioxidants, which you get either from the food you eat or as a supplement.
Major antioxidant nutrients are vitamin E, vitamin C, beta-carotene, selenium, and enzymes. As a general rule of thumb, fruit and vegetables are your best anti-oxidant insurance. Choose those with the richest colors to get the biggest bang for the buck.
- Vitamin E: nuts- almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pine, filberts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, unrefined oils (olive, sesame, coconut, grapeseed, walnut, and avocado), tomatoes, turnip greens, dandelion greens, spinach, swiss chard, broccoli, sweet potatoes; kiwi, mangoes, papayas.
- Vitamin C: broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, kiwi, citrus, red or yellow peppers, mustard greens, cantaloupe, cabbage, papaya, raspberries, spinach, pineapple, watermelon, cranberries, strawberries, brussel sprouts.
- Beta-Carotene: winter squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, apricots, cantaloupe, leafy greens: spinach, kale, collards, and turnip greens, beets, and broccoli.
- Selenium: oats, corn, wheat, brown rice, brazil nuts, walnuts, legumes, halibut, salmon, sardines, shellfish, turkey, beef, pork, egg, cheese, mushrooms, shitake, and onions.
- Enzymes: you get these from proteins you eat.
Diet, regular exercise, healthy lifestyle habits, and taking a little “me-time” are all aspects of a balanced life. We routinely assess and make recommendations as part of your acupuncture treatment plan.
Schedule NOW (303) 888-5764