This is a great gluten and dairy free apple-cranberry pie recipe that is worthy to serve to guests. Prepare yourself for an amazing taste sensation and it’s healthy too.
Cranberries are considered a superfood it is high in Vitamin C and potassium. Cranberries have a high ORAC value (antioxidant) of 9,090/100 g.
Apples (with skin) contain a lot of potassium and a good amount of Vitamin C and its ORAC value is 4,275, with skin, 2,936, without skin, per 100 g.
Gluten free 9-inch pie shell (you can make your own if you want)
- 4 apples
- 2 cups of fresh cranberries
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbs arrowroot powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup gluten-free coconut flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
- Peel and core apples (you can keep the skin on for more antioxidant value). Slice each apple in quarters and then into half moons with about 1/4-inch thickness. Mix the apples, cranberries, and fresh ginger with the lemon juice and set aside. In a small mixing bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, arrowroot, and salt. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples a little at a time and toss until combined. Set aside.
- To make the crumble, mix the coconut flour, rolled oats, almond meal, chopped walnuts, and salt; add the coconut oil and mix until mixture is wet through and through. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 400° F and remove chilled pie shell from fridge. Fill pie shell with the apple mixture, arranging them evenly across pie; evenly distribute crumble topping with your fingers. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush top of pie crust with the egg wash (or milk). Place pie in the center of your oven and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375° F and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until crust and topping are golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Remove from oven and place on stove. Let the pie cool completely before serving.
Schedule NOW (303) 888-5764