This bone broth recipe is a time-tested Chinese medicine remedy. We consume this when we experience an injury and often suggest bone-based soups and stews to patients, particularly people who want to be or are mostly vegetarian. You get a huge nutritional kick from the marrow in the bone plus extra calcium, without having to cook meat and the taste is mildly animal.
For healing purposes, if you have a bone break or bruise, try this simple recipe:
1 pound beef marrow bones, or other grass-fed animal – the femur bone is preferable. Make sure to get pieces with the marrow visible
3 celery stalks – 2 inch chunks
3 carrots – 1 inch slices
1 onion – rough chop
2-4 T vinegar
Filtered water to cover
Vinegar will draw out the calcium in the bone, making it more available to you.
Steps 1 & 2: either cook on the stove or in a slow cooker
1. Place all the ingredients in an enamel cast iron or stainless steel 4 qt or larger pot
2. Cook in a slow cooker on low for 5 hours or on a stovetop for 2 hours
Steps 3 & 4
3. Knock out the marrow from the bone’s center and mix into the liquid
4. Discard the bones and skim off the fat
5. Store in refrigerator, heat and drink 8 oz. twice a day, with or without meals
1 batch should yield about 4 days’ worth of bone broth treatment.