Everyone’s curious at the New Year to find out the past and upcoming trends in health, fitness, and diet. For fitness trends the most popular health and fitness survey to turn to is the one done by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Here are some of the top take-aways:
1. Short, high-intensity workouts (HIIT, high-intensity interval training) are popular because people have less free time for exercising with work taking up so ever more free time.
2. Trainers and Coaches have grown in popularity because people are either less self-motivated or simply too tired to do it on their own.
3. Yoga is still trending high and studies show it is just as good for heart health as aerobic exercises. Spinoffs continue to morph yoga from its original spiritual practice to current offerings such as Acroyoga, Live Music Yoga, Yoga Pole Dancing, Hot Barre Yoga, Underwater Yoga Diving, Yin Yoga, and others.
4. Functional Movement revolves around using activities to help improve coordination and balance, endurance, and strength training for everyday life activities. Similar to what we’re doing with qigong and taiji.
5. Apps are a useful technology to help keep track of your workouts and also keep motivation up. Some good apps are: Fitbit, MapMyFitness, Argus, Runtastic, and Strava. You can get a list of the top fitness apps in 2015 here.
6. The Tried-and-True: exercises that use your own body weight such as running, walking, cycling, weight lifting, resistance training, swimming, and stretching are predicted for 2015, because they’re economically sustainable and they work. Popular work-out crazes, by comparison, are costly over time and cause injuries if not careful.
We live in an ever increasingly fast-paced world, making the need to slow down so important. Dedicated time to go within a form of self care that really pays off in the long run. Start by setting aside 20 minutes a day. In the beginning it might take you 15 minutes to get to the point where you actually do something. Read more about getting back into sync with yourself here.